To lift up Christ that the world might believe!
John 3:14-15, John 12:32
We are united to magnify God by:
Reaching the multitudes one by one
Developing Christ-like maturity
Empowering meaningful ministry
Encouraging a life of missions throughout the world
What We Believe
- We are an independent, non-denominational church that believes the Bible to be the inspired Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
- Jesus Christ was virgin-born, sinless, died on the cross for sins, was raised from the dead on the third day and is coming again (Matthew1:18, Hebrews 4:15, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, John 14:3).
- Salvation is a gift, bestowed by God's grace and received by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). A believer's salvation is secured by Christ alone (1 John 4:9-10).
- Immersion in water of a professed believer is the Bible baptism (Acts 8:36-39) and such baptism is symbolic of Christ's death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:1-4).
- The church is the bride of Christ (Ephesians 5:23-33), and the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12). The local church is locally governed by godly men known as elders or bishops (Titus 1:5). The purpose of the church on earth is to fulfill the last command of Jesus (Matthew 28:18-20).
- Christians are endowed with spiritual gifts which enable them to minister in the church (Romans 12:4-8). The Holy Spirit, whom every believer receives at conversion (Ephesians 1:13-14), leads and guides us.
In 1912, 100 dedicated believers began meeting in an old railroad car to worship God. As time passed and the congregation grew, this collection of people became known as the First Baptist Church of Van Nuys, California.
While First Baptist grew, so did Hillcrest Christian Church. In 1952, the non-denominational Hillcrest opened its doors with 105 people. Then in 1964, Hillcrest purchased land and moved to Granada Hills, California.
When Dr. Jess Moody became the senior pastor of First Baptist in 1976, the congregation moved into a new building in 1991 and changed its name to Shepherd of the Hills Church in Porter Ranch, California.
In 1987, Dudley Rutherford became the senior pastor at Hillcrest. Over the next eight years, church attendance tripled, and the congregation began looking for a larger location.
While Hillcrest searched for a new home, in the spring of 1995, Shepherd faced financial hardships as their senior pastor looked to retire. This led Dr. Moody to approach Pastor Dudley with the idea of possibly merging their two churches.
Both pastors presented the potential merger to their congregations. After months of prayer and deliberation, it went to vote in the summer of 1995. Over 95 percent of the congregation voted to unite.
In October of 1995, Shepherd and Hillcrest officially merged with a combined membership of 1,600 people calling itself Shepherd of the Hills Church. Dr. Moody went on to retire and Pastor Dudley took his place as the senior pastor. As the years passed the congregation continued to grow.
In 2000, the congregation had more than doubled, and in 2005, Shepherd built and opened the Family Life Center housing additional office space, a youth room and a full basketball court gymnasium. Within this time frame, Pastor Dudley began to share his ideas for offering new venues and multiple locations.
By 2008, Shepherd had successfully produced four satellite locations, a Spanish-speaking service and three self-sufficient churches all within the Los Angeles County. When attendance reached over 8,000 people in 2009, by the following year, Shepherd embarked upon the Miracle in the Making campaign to raise the funds for a new building.
In 2012, the Spanish-speaking service and a satellite location became independent churches, while the Miracle in the Making campaign has raised more than half the funds needed for the coming building. Decades of history continues to prove to Shepherd that God is good all the time, and the best is yet to come.